Our scope was to remake a site in a more comprehensive and future-proof way learning from the mistakes made in the past. This way no major visual upgrades were made for the end-users, but the backend has its own improvements. During the migration from WP to D8 we made many structural changes including changes to the main navigation, reorganized the content and threw out the unnecessary features in order to achieve the best possible performance.
As a result, we created a platform much faster than WordPress was with a clean backend and an editorial UI already way better than stock Drupal including workflow management for external editors.
3rd party integrations
Since the platform is 3rd-party-heavy, we just as much needed to rely on the community as much to create custom modules. We provided a new Contextly integration, made several patches for Yoast and customized the Thunder admin theme. During the project, we learned the iframely, Algolia, AMP, Disqus and Parse.ly from inside out to achieve the desired goals.
- Contextly - a smart suggesting system based on the metadata of the content
- Disqus - instant commenting solution
- Algolia - the fastest search we've ever seen
- iframely - the media provider for cca 2000 media types
- Parse.ly - the better version of Google Analytics
- Yoast - SEO optimization service
- AMP - a custom responsive theme for Google's search result cache
- Google Analytics Reporting API is used to download content statistics and generating "Best of" lists.
Founder of Diginomica